|Date Posted||November 1, 2018|
Precision Optical Assembly Technician
Location: Fairport, NY, US, 14450
Req #: 34064
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
We seek a highly motivated, experienced, and skilled individual to build, assemble, and align high precision optical components and optical lens assemblies in a manufacturing environment. Individuals applying for this position must be self-directed, while also team oriented and able to work collaboratively with others.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- The primary responsibilities of the position include precision alignment and assembly of optical components (lenses and mirrors) using mechanical and optical alignment processes
- Handle, inspect, clean, and prepare delicate and sensitive optical components and assemblies
- Read work orders, engineering drawings, and work instructions for sub-assembly and final product assembly
- Perform detailed recordkeeping duties for production, engineering, and quality control reporting
- Interface with plant systems (e.g. document control system, manufacturing execution system, optical testing software, ERP/MRP systems, etc.)
- Maintain clean room integrity by using proper attire and adherence to clean room environment practices and procedures
- Perform coarse and fine adjustments requiring the use of hand tools, precision measuring devices and other specialized equipment including, but not limited to vacuum equipment, digital indicators, torque wrenches, optical microscopes, height gages, Vernier gages, micrometers, and electronic testing fixtures.
- Actively engage with continuous improvement and cost reduction programs
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience with assembling opto-mechanical assemblies
- Ability to read and understand assembly drawings and assembly instructions for medium to complex assemblies
- Experience with handling, inspecting, and cleaning sensitive small-scale optical parts and materials (mirrors and lenses).
- Working knowledge and familiarity with centration and alignment concepts, and the tools used to adhere to and measure these parameters
- Strong mechanical aptitude and good Eye/Hand coordination and fine motor skills to perform repetitive assembly tasks with precision, accuracy and dexterity
- Requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and ability to adjust focus
- Strong work ethic and good attitude toward work that includes consistently arriving on time for start of shift
- Ability to utilize interpersonal and communication techniques, work in a team environment, and deal with a wide variety of personalities and communication styles
- Advanced Computer and Math Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as ability to communicate effectively with scientist and engineers from a wide range of technical backgrounds
- 2+ years of previous experience in a manufacturing or technical environment required
- 2+ years of optical assembly required
- Prior experience in a clean room environment preferred
- Knowledge of 5S and lean concepts beneficial
- Must have command of the English language, both written and verbal
- Other related experience that may be applicable:
- Hands-on experience in microelectronic or medical device assembly.
- Experience as a jewelry maker or similar fine detail work
- Experience with assembling close tolerance parts that may have unusual shapes or parameters
- Work environment is temperature controlled clean room.
- Will be required to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Safety glasses and safety shoes are required.
- May need to lift or move materials up to 5 pounds frequently.
- Occasionally lifts or move materials to 15 pounds.
- Overtime as needed
- High School Diploma or GED is required. Technical college degree preferred
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.